Sunday, March 1, 2015

Can't Buy Me Love

February, the month of love, just ended last night. And, although my thoughts right now are not as philosophical as my musings from last Valentine's Day season, I have been thinking about love--and the parts of it I can buy. Here are just two of the many examples:

Music: Dustin and I found one another through music--singing, attending, playing, talking about, participating in, breathing music. It's been a large part of our lives pretty much since we were born. I want my two girls to also discover the breath-taking experiences that music gives...the ones you can't buy.
But, you can buy a piano.
It might be half a century old. It might be out of tune. It might have only cost a few hundreds instead of a few thousands, but it is a piano and our family is already doing our darnedest to break it in (or wear it out). That, and a neon green recorder (or "hoon" as it is known around our house) from the dollar store are instruments in making priceless music.

Outings: Family has grown more and more important to me as each year shows me how precious it really is. You can't put a price on the love I've found in marriage and mothering, but you can help it grow by spelling family as T-I-M-E and love as F-U-N. Our outings are usually pretty affordable (we are big fans of Free Zoo Day and splitting fast-food fries & shakes three ways) but the resulting memories and relationships are cherished beyond an auction-able amount. Hubby took the girls out for a daddy-daughters date this week and Rosie can't stop telling me about the crystals she saw in the university's science building and how yummy the crunchy cone was from McDonald's (after they took the paper off).

It doesn't take much--a little money properly placed can take love a long way.



1 comment:

  1. I love you and your family so very much! Thank you for sharing your experiences with us!!!!

    ReplyDelete